Saturday, 1 October 2016

U.S. Official: Solution in Yemen Starts with Security before Politics

Jeddah, Aden- A high-ranking U.S. official told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that his country agrees it is necessary to reach an immediate cessation of fighting in Yemen, in addition to a comprehensive solution, which should be sequential in its security and political steps.


“There should be actions to remove the armed forces from Sana’a before a new cabinet is formed to take power in the capital,” he said.


The U.S. official, who wished to remain anonymous, denied the presence of a dispute with U.N. Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, asserting that all news reported in this regard was incorrect.


Last week, Yemeni diplomatic sources spoke about a dispute between the U.N. special envoy and the U.S. Department of State concerning the priorities of the peace initiative in Yemen.


However, the comments of the U.S. official cut the road to any speculations in this regard, particularly at a time when Ould Cheikh has already started a regional tour to revive the frozen Yemeni peace talks.


Peace talks to end 18 months of fighting in Yemen collapsed in August in Kuwait and Houthi militias there resumed shelling into Saudi Arabia.


Ould Cheikh’s spokesman Charbel Raji asserted that the U.N. envoy does not only carry a ceasefire file with him, but also a file of “political negotiations” based on the recommendations placed during the peace talks held in Kuwait to reach a peaceful solution to the fighting.


“The security solution in Yemen represents the entrance to any political solution,” Political analyst Najib Gholab told Asharq Al-Awsat.


At the field level, the Arab Coalition forces in Yemen announced yesterday morning that it launched an operation to rescue the passengers onboard a U.A.E. civil ship.


The Coalition said in a statement its forces operating in Yemen had embarked on an operation to rescue passengers after Houthi militias targeted a civilian vessel (SWIFT), owned by an Emirates maritime company during one of its routine trips to and from the city of Aden to transfer aid, in addition to evacuating injured civilians who had to complete their treatment outside Yemen.


“This comes as an indicator of a serious work to confirm the orientation of these militias to carry out terrorist operations targeting the international civil navigation and relief ships, at Bab al-Mandab,” the statement said.


It added that coalition air and naval forces had started chasing the boats that carried out the attack.



U.S. Official: Solution in Yemen Starts with Security before Politics

Turkish MPs Extends Mandate for Troops in Iraq, Syria by 1 Year

Turkey’s parliament on Saturday overwhelmingly approved a one-year extension of an existing mandate to use Turkish troops abroad in Syria and Iraq.


The mandate was first approved by parliament in October 2014 and was renewed for another year in September 2015.


It allows military action in Turkey’s two southern neighbors against ISIS jihadists and other groups deemed by Ankara to be terror organizations.


Using the existing mandate, Turkey on August 24 launched an unprecedented operation inside Syria dubbed Euphrates Shield to back pro-Ankara rebels fighting ISIS jihadists and a Kurdish militia.


Ankara is also believed to have an unspecified number of troops in the Bashiqa camp outside ISIS-controlled Mosul in northern Iraq involved in training Iraqi fighters who plan to recapture the city.


The bill passed easily on the first day of the new session of parliament with support from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), secular opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) and Nationalist Movement Party (MHP).


Only the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) voted against.


According to the state-run Anadolu news agency, the new mandate will run until October 30, 2017.


In his speech marking the opening of parliament, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the initial goal of the Syria operation was to create a “safe area free of terror organizations”.


Erdogan hailed the results of the operation in the Syrian town of Jarablus, saying its population had expanded from 2,000 to 40,000 since being captured from ISIS jihadists.


As well as targeting the jihadists, the operation is also aimed against Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia which Ankara regards as a terror group.



Turkish MPs Extends Mandate for Troops in Iraq, Syria by 1 Year

KSA, Turkey Sign Two Protocols on Cultural and Media Cooperation

Ankara-Turkish Deputy Premier and government Spokesman Numan Kurtulmuş confirmed that enhancing relations between his country and Saudi Arabia leads to establishing peace in the region.


This came as the Turkish Deputy Premier received Saudi Minister of Culture and Information Dr. Adel al-Turaifi at the headquarters of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey on Friday.


The Turkish and Saudi parts signed a memorandum of understanding between the Turkish Radio and Television Corporation, also known as TRT, and the Saudi Broadcasting Corporation (SBC).


Kurtulmuş said that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince and First Deputy Prime Minister Mohammed bin Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud’s visit to Ankara aimed at boosting relations of historical and cultural dimensions between the two countries.


He noted that cooperation is ongoing between Riyadh and Ankara in all fields.


Kurtulmuş reiterated his thanks to the Kingdom for being one of the first countries to support Turkey in the failed coup last July.


For his part, Minister Adel al-Turaifi said that his ministry is doing all what it can to strengthen cultural cooperation with Turkey.


Moreover, Turkey and Saudi Arabia also signed an applied protocol program on cultural cooperation on Friday.


The protocol was signed by Turkish Minister of Culture and Tourism Nabi Avci and Saudi Minister of Culture and Information Adel Al-Turaifi.


The protocol aims at enhancing cultural ties between the two countries in the years 2017 and 2018.


It will include exchange of expertise in various aspects of culture: music, literature, art and heritage.


It will also encourage holding cultural exhibits in the two countries.



KSA, Turkey Sign Two Protocols on Cultural and Media Cooperation

Saudi Crown Prince: ‘Riyadh is Keen on Boosting Strategic Partnership with Ankara’

Ankara, Riyadh- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed depth of relations that link his country with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.


Erdogan stressed that boosting bilateral relations in all fields helps in providing many opportunities for both countries’ citizens.


The Turkish President’s confirmations were made as he was addressing Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, who was granted “Medal of the Republic of Turkey.”


This medal is one of the highest honors conferred on foreign heads of state, presidents and prime ministers for their contributions in promoting bilateral relations.


Erdogan, who received the Saudi Crown Prince in the presidential palace in Ankara on Friday, said: Your majesty’s visit to Ankara during this critical time sent a strong message of Saudi solidarity with Turkey.”


The Turkish leader also thanked Saudi King Salman’s government for its stance towards Ankara following the July failed coup.


For his part, the Crown Prince also expressed his gratitude over Turkey’s “warm welcome,” “generous hospitality” and Erdogan gifting him a medal.


He considered the medal as a symbol representing “deep rooted friendship and brotherhood” between Saudi Arabia and Turkey.


“Turkey is a brotherly country for us. We always consider seriously that there should be strong and joint work between us because we actually need each other,” the Crown Prince said.


As the Crown Prince left Turkey, he sent a cable to the Turkish Premier Binali Yildirim.


“This visit has put at our avail a chance to discuss bilateral relations, in all fields, in a way that emphasized our mutual keenness on moving together ahead and in fostering strategic relations, and it underscored significance of continuous coordination and consultation on issues of mutual interest to best serve the two countries and peoples,” the Crown Prince said.


He wished the premier steady good health and happiness and the Turkish people permanent advancement and prosperity.



Saudi Crown Prince: ‘Riyadh is Keen on Boosting Strategic Partnership with Ankara’

U.S.A. Looks for Options, Alternatives on Syria

Washington, Moscow- U.S. sources indicated that the phone call between U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on Friday was marred with lots of tension and resentment in light of recriminations between the two parties on the background of intensifying bombardments on Aleppo, north Syria, detaining civilians and hampering the delivery of humanitarian aids.


The one hour phone call, according to sources close to the matter, addressed means of reviving agreement on cessation of hostilities.


The two parties also confirmed the importance of maintaining Syrian institutions and providing opportunities for diplomatic efforts in order to negotiate on all key issues to achieve political settlement in Syria.


On the other hand, Russia expressed its resentment on what U.S. State Department Spokesman John Kirby said as he warned Russia of ‘more body bags” and “attacks on Russian cities” if the Russians will not cooperate with them in Syria.


Kirby, said in a press conference on Thursday: “We are working through steps that we might have to begin to suspend our engagement with Russia on Syria. We haven’t taken those steps yet.”


“The message to the Russian Foreign Minister today was that we are perfectly willing and able to move forward on those steps that would end with the suspension of U.S.-Russia bilateral engagement in Syria.”


Early on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry threatened to end all cooperation between the United States and Russia to stop Syria’s civil war, unless Moscow and Damascus ended the current attack on East Aleppo.


In this matter, Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken said: “we also are actively considering other options” at Obama’s direction for ending the civil war and he would share them with Congress once the deliberations are complete.


Kerry said on Thursday: “It’s one of those moments where we’re going to have to pursue other alternatives for a period of time barring some other clearer indication by warring parties that they’re considering how to approach this more effectively.”


Moreover, analysts indicated that there is no Plan B for the United States in Syria.


As members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee demanded to know what “Plan B” in Syria is, Blinken described the conflict as a trap that Russia doesn’t want to get caught in.


Blinken said Russia “has a profound incentive” to find ways out. Russia escalated its involvement in Syria’s civil war because it feared losing its only foothold in the Middle East, he said.


But if the war escalates and more weaponry pours into the country, Russia will be left propping up Assad in an increasingly smaller part of Syria. A bad situation, he said, will have gotten worse for Russia.



U.S.A. Looks for Options, Alternatives on Syria

Zayed al-Zayani: ‘Bahrain, Saudi Visions are Common, but Challenges Differ’

London- Bahraini Minister of Industry and Commerce Zayed bin Rashid Al Zayani received Asharq Al-Awsat’s reporter in Bahrain’s Embassy, London, following the first session of Bahrain-U.K. forum. The reporter hoped she can learn more about Manama’s relations in precise, and GCC with Britain and EU in general, especially that Gulf’s major ally is not an EU member anymore.


The minister said that Britain is a strategic partner in the field of commerce, investment and cooperation in many other sectors like defense and education.


On Brexit, al-Zayani stated that Bahrain views it as a chance for Britain to take its own decisions, instead of the collective ones that it was forced to abide to within the Union.


He said that the government considers the depth of relations with Britain, easy transportation with Gulf States, simple language and cooperation with one government, instead of 27, are all positive factors that will push forward the trade relations between Bahrain and Britain.


The Bahraini Minister of Industry and Commerce revealed the Kingdom’s most prominent projects to develop domestic product through developing industrial, tourism and banking sectors.


He also said that his country is willing to invest in its youth by granting them a “clear path to turn their dreams into great successes.”


Regarding similarity of Bahrain and Saudi Arabia’s visions, al-Zayani stressed that they are parallel, yet the two kingdoms’ challenges differ.


When asked about the competition between Bahrain and Dubai to win the title of the Financial Center for Gulf States, al-Zayani replied with a smile saying: “The market accommodates more than one player.”


He benefited from this interview to reveal what makes Bahrain different from other Gulf States.


Al-Zayani said the rate of Bahrainis working in the Kingdom’s banks exceeds 90%, in addition to the fact that 70% of the banking sector is Bahraini.


He said that this sector works on global and professional levels, adding that many Bahrainis work in international banking centers and are qualified for the best jobs, which makes the Bahraini government proud as instead of importing the sector, the government works on its sustainability and development.


The minister also spoke about Bahrain’s projects in the field of tourism; most notably the new rail bridge that will link Bahrain to Saudi Arabia and the historical deal that will restructure the identity of “Gulf Airlines.”


When asked about the main points of cooperation between Bahrain and the Economic Development Board, al-Zayani said: “We have changed four rules in 2015; some were old from the 1860s.”


“We have also issued new regulations that positively reflected on Bahrain and appeared in numerous commercial records in Bahrain,” he added.


He said that the Board’s vision focuses on five sectors, but this does not mean that the government is not interested in other sectors such as the financial, banking and logistic sectors, as Bahrain looks forward to become the logistic center in the Gulf, especially to nourish Saudi Arabian market and north Gulf.



Zayed al-Zayani: ‘Bahrain, Saudi Visions are Common, but Challenges Differ’

Qahwaji: A General with Presidential Ambitions

Beirut – The third extended term of Lebanese Army chief Gen. Jean Qahwaji began on Saturday despite doubts by some political parties about the extension’s legality after it was carried out by a decision made by the defense minister and not the government.


Constitutionally, the cabinet should take a decision on the extension of the army chief’s term, which expired in 2013 and was later extended three consecutive times to avoid a vacuum at the helm of the military institution.


The extension came as a result of the failure of the rival political parties to reach consensus on a new army commander and the insistence of other politicians to keep Qahwaji in his post to set the stage for his candidacy to the presidency.


If the same rule, which has brought Lebanon’s two last presidents to power, was adopted, then Qahwaji should be the country’s new head of state and fill the more than two-year vacuum at Baabda Palace.


But the army commander’s calculations are different than his predecessors – Emile Lahoud, who was elected president in 1998 during the Syrian hegemony, and Michel Suleiman, who came to power in 2008 as a result of a regional determination to resolve the country’s political crisis.


Qahwaji is currently facing one of the most difficult times of his political-military career. He leads the military institution that is seen as the backbone of Lebanon’s security which is in constant threat as a result of the five-year war in neighboring Syria.


The crisis in Syria continuously threatens Lebanon’s security that is always on the verge of spiraling out of control.


The army is one of the last institutions that function properly and receive backing from across the political spectrum. Qahwaji seeks to keep the balance but whenever he appeases one camp, he angers a rival alliance.


Some parties believe that Change and Reform bloc leader MP Michel Aoun, who is a presidential candidate, has rejected the extension of Qahwaji’s term for considering the army chief as his rival for the country’s top post. But although the general has been considered one of the presidential candidates, he has never announced his intention to run in the elections.


Strategic expert Nizar Abdul Qader said: “Any (Christian) Maronite who reaches the army leadership, directly becomes a presidential candidate, but without announcing it.”


“Four generals have reached the presidency, including Aoun albeit in different circumstances when he headed the premiership in 1988” during the country’s civil war, he said.


“I don’t think that Qahwaji has declared his candidacy but his name is circulated to fill the post,” the expert told Asharq Al-Awsat.


The presidential vacuum “is linked to Iranian obstacles via the so-called Hezbollah.” Tehran seeks to become a regional player through its continued support to Syria’s regime and by having a final say in Lebanon’s presidential elections to keep the pressure on Arabs and the international community, said Abdul Qader.


He also told Asharq Al-Awsat that the extension of Qahwaji’s term was the result of “the cabinet’s paralysis and its failure to appoint a new army commander.”


Aoun is trying to become an obstacle to the extension because he fears that Qahwaji would remain a strong candidate for the presidency if he stays in the military institution, Abdul Qader said.


He stressed that the general is always prone to “friendly fire” although he stands at an equal distance from all sides.


At the level of security, Qahwaji has the same views as Hezbollah on the need to fight armed Syrian groups and control the security situation. But on sovereign issues, he agrees with the March 14 camp which hasn’t placed a direct veto on him.


As for Hezbollah, it has remained silent about his possible candidacy. But the party has seemingly set the idea aside and instead stuck to its ally Aoun, who seems to be nearing his ambition into receiving the consensus of the rival political parties onto reaching Baabda Palace.


But it is said that Qahwaji is Speaker Nabih Berri’s favorite candidate, who prefers a consensual figure who would “help restore security, political and economic stability.”


Qahwaji was born in the southern border town of Ain Ebel (his mother’s hometown) on September 23, 1953. But he hails from the Shouf town of Baatharan in Mount Lebanon.


He started his military career when he joined the military academy on October 1, 1973. He moved in ranks and posts until he reached the army leadership in 2008 after his appointment to succeed Suleiman, who was later elected president.


Qahwaji considers the defense ministry his semi-permanent home but respects occasions and spends Sundays with his family.


He is married to Marleine Sfeir and has three children – Jean, Joe and Joanna.


His only daughter Joanna says her father doesn’t have the military mentality and tries to simplify problems through his diplomatic means. He also rejects imposing his opinion on others and resorts to dialogue until a problem is resolved.


“Even if I don’t’ see my father on a daily basis, he is always there for me,” she says.



Qahwaji: A General with Presidential Ambitions